Location: Portland, Oregon
Ranked the No. 1 Hospital in Oregon by the U.S. News & World Report, we pride ourselves in not only serving our community with the highest of accolades, but pushing a multifaceted mission that strives of excellence within the OHSU Culture.
OHSU is hiring! We offer a variety of benefits on top of joining a thriving organization:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage at low or no cost to employees
- Covered 100% for full-time employees and 88% for dependents
- Several retirement plans to choose from! - Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan and University Pension Plan, voluntary savings plans (403b and 457b)
- Up to 200 hours (equal to 25 full days) a year of paid time off
- 96 hours of sick leave a year (prorated for part-time employees)
- Commuter subsidies
- Tuition reimbursement
- Access to group life insurance, disability insurance and other supplemental benefits
- Annual Raises
- Employee discounts to local and major businesses
- Growth/Development Opportunities
We want you, apply and work with us today! https://www.ohsu.edu/
The purpose of this job/position is to function as a member of the Rehabilitation Services patient care team by providing physical therapy services such as therapeutic exercise, gait training, patient/family education, and various other physical modalities to assist patients in improving strength, endurance, mobility, and flexibility and to decrease pain. This position primarily evaluates and treats a sports & orthopaedic population. Therapists are expected to supervise therapy interns and to assist with other educational and research activities conducted by the department or the hospital and meet hospital standards regarding documentation and productivity.
Function/Duties of Position
Provides a Safe Therapeutic Environment
- Ensures the safety and welfare of patients and fellow employees
- Utilized proper posture and sound body mechanics and principles for safe patient handling
- Maintain general good physical and mental health and self-care in order not to jeopardize the health and safety of self and others in the workplace.
- Maintains a clean, safe, and orderly environment for patients, family and personnel. Includes but not limited to maintaining organization for supplies and equipment, notifying appropriate personnel when cleaning or repair is needed, follows infection control policies, maintains knowledge of life safety, fire and electrical safety and disaster plans at a high degree of courtesy, discretion and respect for patients and fellow employees. Ensures the safety and welfare of patients and fellow employees. Utilizes proper posture, sound body mechanics and principles. Considers the needs of patients, employees, medical staff, volunteers, vendors and members of the community in an informative, courteous and compassionate manner.
- Maintains current knowledge of professional practice responsibilities and relevant national and state laws and issues which affect their practice
- Conducts oneself in an ethical and legal manor upholding the APTA code of ethics, OHSU Code of Conduct, federal privacy policies, state statutes and OARs, complies with hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Manage use of time effectively to complete professional and technical tasks within realistic time constraints.
- Takes responsibility for special projects and assignments, additional caseload when needed/ adapts to changing and demanding environments.
- Displays mature, effective professional relationships by accepting appropriate suggestions and constructive criticism and responding with modification of behaviors and exhibiting concern for others.
- Pursues continuing education opportunities, applies and shares new knowledge, participates in staff meetings and services direct physical therapy assistants and physical therapy assistant students. Assists in the supervision and training for students from other disciplines, including occupational and speech therapy, medicine and nursing.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and communication skills in all interactions with patient and family, internal and external customers, including telephone, electronic and face to face situations
- Addresses complaints and problems promptly and courteously, involving management when indicated.
- Communicates using active listening skills in a supportive courteous, professional manner at all times to patients, family and staff.
- Uses AIDET for introduction and closing
Evaluation and Treatment of Patients
- Review chart, may include emphasis on reviewing operation report to clarify plan and precautions, paging MD/ PA as needed to clarify orders.
- Performs individualized skilled physical therapy evaluation, including general screening for indications for other therapy disciplines rehabilitation needs.
- Establishes treatment goals including functional outcomes, quantitative measure and target dates. Discusses goals for treatment with patient and includes family as appropriate, seeks agreement with plan and goals.
- Develops treatment plan directed at achieving identified goals.
- Provides physical therapy procedures in a highly skilled and competent manor including clear explanations to patients the purpose for selected procedures. Includes patient, family, caregiver training and education in treatment plan. Provides comprehensive handouts as indicated. Adjusts treatment plan specific to patient progress toward established goals.
- Requests scheduling with Exercise Specialist when appropriate, actively supervises and reviews patient care that is delegated to exercise specialists.
- Documents evaluation, treatment plan and goals, treatment modalities and procedures in compliance with OHSU, OPTA, OAR, CMS, DNV and other 3rd party standards. All charts closed within three days without reminders.
- Develops and/or improves patient care programs for specialty area.
- Performs pre-op visit with emphasis on patient education.
- Competently and safely demonstrated use of therapy equipment for treatment modalities and procedures.
- Assesses patients for discharge from care when goals met, functional progress plateaus, physical therapist non-compliance with treatment plan or change in medical status.
- Enters appropriate billing for care provided.
- Facilitates patient scheduling therapy appointments with follow up section in Cadence, MyChart communication.
- Medicare certifications and recertifications completed accurately and sent to referring provider for signature. Monitors chart for timely co-signature of plan.
- Ensures patient has home program in place to continue after discharge.
- Expected to meet productivity
Care Coordination/ Interdisciplinary Communications
- Communication to referring provider as indicated; provides feedback and educates physicians, fellows, residents, and other health care providers about rehabilitation.
- Participates in interdisciplinary meetings as needed for care coordination.
- Timely communication to MCC as needed for insurance authorization requests or to clarify coverage for set treatment plan.
- Arrange for any necessary rehabilitation or home care equipment, communicating with vendors, P&O, 3rd party payors. May include coordinating rehab visits with another provider, writing letters of justification
- May involve, after HIPAA release, communication with another physical therapist. closer to patients' home for follow up in own community
- Provides evidence based clinical instruction experiences and supervision for OT students.
- Ensure student completion of weekly goals; identifies and facilitates achievement of affiliation objectives
- Provides regular feedback, completes CPI on schedule
- Participates in the supervision and training for student from other disciplines, student volunteers. All staff post one year take students. All staff take volunteers and shadowers.
Departmental Operations/ Quality Improvement/ Professional Development
- Participates in ongoing professional development, mentoring and competency assessment for self and other staff. Includes but not limited to: attends educational classes, communicates additional trainingneeds to supervisor, attends staff meetings, assists in orientation of new staff, cross trains for other teams as needed, performs peer reviews, pursues independent learning for new developments in patient care area.
- Reports program development needs to supervisor, assists in departmental quality improvement.
- Actively works with team members, leads, and supervisor for continuous improvement of department operations as identified.
- Responsible for self- monitoring own physical therapist schedule in Cadence. Reports schedule conflicts to supervisor and assists in problem solving for good customer service
- Graduate of an accredited physical therapy education program; BS, BA, MS, or DPT in Physical Therapy
- Current State of Oregon Physical Therapy License
- Current American Heart Healthcare
- Provider BLS certification
- Compliance with Code of Conduct, Respect in the workplace and Applicable policies, procedures and agreements related to position, department or OHSU as a whole
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Recent experience in an Ambulatory Care Setting or intensive clinical affiliation.; Recent experience in an Acute care setting or intensive clinical affiliation with post-operative orthopaedic care
- Located at Center for Health and Healing 1 and Beaverton Locations
- Ability to lift 40 lbs., to repeatedly carry equipment weighing more than 5 lbs. and to walk extensively on hard and soft surfaces.
- Frequent bending and reaching to navigate medical equipment or perform treatment is required.
- Requires ability to respond quickly and appropriately to urgent medical situations that may arise with high risk or medically complex patient populations.
- Able to use keyboard and mouse frequently for documentation and communications.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.