Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
Working under the general direction of the Rehabilitation Services Manager and in partnership with the rest of the Physical Therapy team, the Physical Therapist (Per-Diem) is responsible for performing clinical duties as a licensed physical therapist, specializing in the needs of oncology patients and other diagnoses treated at Fred Hutch.
This position's primary purpose is to provide vacation and sick leave coverage for regularly scheduled staff so this individual will need to be able to cover on short notice.
Under the general direction of the Rehabilitation Services Manager, the Physical Therapist (Per-Diem) is responsible for clinical duties in the physical therapy department as follows:
- Evaluating, planning and administering treatment to Fred Hutch patients with problems related to neuromuscular and musculoskeletal systems
- Administering and interpreting tests and measurements of muscle strength, coordination, range of motion, and respiratory and circulatory efficiency
- Instructing patients and their families in the care and use of wheelchairs, braces, canes, crutches and other devices
- Maintaining patient records in EMR (Epic), including writing initial evaluations, progress notes, discharge summaries, and home programs
- Devising special tools and treatment for the specific needs of patients
- Evaluating treatment goals and progress
- Serving as a clinical resource for all Fred Hutch departments and clinicians.
- Completing other duties as assigned by the Rehabilitation Services Manager to meet the mission of the department, which may include educational lectures, student instruction, networking to other clinical services, volunteer supervision, process improvement activities, and/or quality improvement projects
- In addition to the primary responsibilities included in the Job Description for Physical Therapist I, a Physical Therapist II will also have at least two of the following responsibilities:
- Will provide content expertise in patient education, staff education, or marketing related to oncology physical therapy for at least two projects per year
- Create, review, and/or revise a clinical protocol of a specific oncology population or side effect from treatment
- Supervise at least one student in clinical rotation, provide mentorship to other clinicians, or supervise physical therapy volunteers
- Provide regular assistance in onboarding and training of new staff members
- Graduate of an accredited Physical Therapy program
- Masters degree from an accredited Physical Therapy program
- WA State Physical Therapy License (or meet DOH criteria for the Physical Therapist Compact Privilege)
- At least 3+ years of relevant of clinical physical therapy experience required with additional expertise in oncology highly preferred
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist
- For Physical Therapist III:
- APTA Certified Clinical Instructor
- APTA Oncology Clinical Specialist Certification
- Displays excellent customer service and relations skills
- Communicates concisely and effectively, both orally and written, with co-workers, physicians, patients, and caregivers
- Ability to promote and maintain excellent interpersonal relationships
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility, attention to detail, and work under pressure
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing and stressful situations including balancing the need for quality of work with the need to respond to workload
- Ability to take initiative in identifying and resolving problems and participating in making improvements for the purpose of improving quality of care and services
- Ability to be proactive, use strategic thinking and sound judgment to accomplish tasks
- Experience in providing physical therapy to a wide variety of oncology patients, including bone marrow /stem cell transplant patients
- Experience with pediatric patients (>12 years)
- Any additional APTA Clinical Specialist Certification
- Demonstrates ability to provide physical therapy focused educational lectures to various audiences
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to mentor and instruct physical therapy students in a clinical setting
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment. A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
For Physical Therapist II: The hourly pay range for this position is from $49.98 to $74.95, which includes the per diem differential, and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
For Physical Therapist III: The hourly pay range for this position is from $53.37 to $84.35, which includes the per diem differential, and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees access to a retirement savings plan, an employee assistance program, and paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.