WORK SCHEDULE: Days/Evenings (Weekend and Holiday Rotation)
WORK TYPE: Full Time
The Patient Access Representative facilitates a welcome and easy access to the facility and is responsible for establishing an encounter for any patient who meets the guidelines for hospital service. Responsible for the coordination and completion of all patient demographic and financial information as required by third party insurers and regulatory agencies. Provides front line office support for various hospital departments. Maintains a close working relationship with nursing staff, ancillary department staff and the medical staff to ensure a seamless patient transition between registration and clinical providers. Work in conjunction with other Revenue Cycle Department personnel to ensure that all established policies/procedures are maintained. The position requires critical thinking skills, ability to work in high-stress situations, professional appearance, behavior, good communication skills, dependability, flexibility and teamwork. The Revenue Cycle PAR will be cross trained within various areas of Patient Access for the Northeast (Admissions, Outpatient Registration areas, Emergency Department, Urgent Care).
The Patient Access Representative will perform duties to support the goals and objectives of the Geisinger Health System and provide the highest level of quality patient care and patient satisfaction.
Works under the direction of the Patient Access Supervisor
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. *Greets patients, families, and provides direction/communication to ensure a seamless transition for a scheduled
2. *Responsible for the patient’s appointment check-in via Cadence Hyperspace Receptionist Report, Epic ADT Pending Pre-Admission and ED arrivals, Epic Optime, RIS and Copia Lab Registration.
3. *Obtains all required demographic and insurance information either by personal interview, phone contact, pastoral care assistance, EMS/Police Departments or the approved language line. Identifies patient by obtaining photo ID, along with insurance cards, and scans into patients Electronic Health Record.
4. *Responsible to identify primary, secondary, and tertiary insurance rank as well as correctly identify the appropriate financial plans or visit indicator for each encounter to assure compliant and timely billing. Coordinates efforts with other department to resolve financial clearance, insurance billing, collection and/or other related concerns/issues.
5. *Responsible for the completion of all regulatory forms for both Inpatient, Outpatient, and clinical appointments necessary for registration and claims adjudication as well as Department of Health (DOH), Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS) and Joint Commission (JC) requirements.
6. Performs Real Time Eligibility insurance verification process and reviews response to accurately assign primary insurance per encounter.
8 *Verifies insurance coverage through applicable tools including websites (i.e.) (Passport, Promise, Navi-net).
9. *Responsible for explaining benefits to patient at the time of pre-registration, and reviewing deductibles, co-pays and out of pocket responsibilities. Documents and communicates to the patient their financial obligations at the time of service (depending on facility)
10. *Responsible to collect co-payments or outstanding balances at the time of appointment in all areas(Admissions/Outpatient check-in areas, Urgent Care, Pre-Registration are and Emergency Departments).
11. *Maintains/balances cash fund daily. Completes the CORE close daily, reconciles cash and receipts into Finance Report Center and delivers deposit to main deposit drop off location of the facility.
12. *Responsible to interpret physician’s orders and medical record notes to ensure that insurance/claim information, procedure, admitting diagnosis, patient contact, etc. is accurate and complete for all walk-in/scheduled appointments, emergency/urgent care department encounters or direct admissions.
13. Keeps abreast of all registration, third party insurance, and Patient Access updates.
14. Attends all required training sessions.
15. *Must have knowledge of registration downtime procedures.
16. *Must act in accordance to disaster preparedness plan/actual disaster protocol.
17. *Uses critical thinking skills to provide customer service to patients, families, and other Geisinger entities by knowing, understanding and having the ability to communicate Geisinger Financial Policies.
19. Recommends procedural changes to improve effectiveness and work flow.
20. *Orders office supplies.
21. Performs other duties as required for business needs in which the employee is qualified to perform.
*Denotes essential functions
SPECIFIC POSITION DUTIES:
*1. Emergency Department discharge reports need to be reviewed for Post ED appointments to be scheduled for PCP or specialty clinics per the Emergency Department Physician’s order. Patient Access Representatives are to schedule at time of discharge. The discharge summary is also reviewed for an Orthopedic referral that may be required, these are faxed directly to the orthopedic department they will schedule their own appointments for post ED patients.
*2. Performs front line office duties to support the clinical department to include reviewing/transcribing orders, reviewing referrals, and authorizations.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Demonstrates competence in oral, written and electronic communication skills.
Must be able to make responsible sound and accurate decisions.
Must maintain confidentiality.
Demonstrates intermediate typing, keyboard, and internet navigation skills.
Demonstrates intermediate office skills.
Demonstrates ability to work independently, set priorities, multi-task and provide problem resolution.
Demonstrates competence in customer service skills.
Must be assertive. Show initiative in confirming patient demographics, health insurance information and collections at the time of the encounter.
Must be able to work day, evening, night, holiday and week-end rotation hours.
Demonstrates friendliness and compassion toward patients in Patient Access areas
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree preferred.
Minimum of one (1) year experience in patient hospital registration, billing or collections preferred.
Successfully completes Revenue Cycle Training Program.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHSYICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in a hospital/emergency/outpatient/urgent care setting which may require repetitive visits to numerous patient care locations to complete bedside registrations.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
GEISINGER-COMMUNITY MEDICAL CENTER (G-CMC), Scranton, Pa., is an acute care hospital licensed for 297 beds and houses the only Level II Trauma Center in Lackawanna County and Scranton’s only neurosurgery program and adult in-patient behavioral health unit. It is also home to comprehensive cardiovascular and orthopaedic services, as well as a broad range of other surgical and radiological services.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.