This is a "multiple-fill" job opening: A total of (7) full-time Nurse Supervisors will be hired to fill this job opening.
Supervisors will be hired to each of the following Ambulatory Care Services areas: * Oncology (2) * Primary Care (1) * Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R)/Neuro/ Comprehensive Musculoskeletal Center (1) * Medicine (1) * Surgical (1) * Pediatrics/ OB/GYN (1)
Purpose of Position: To assist the Senior Director or Clinical Nursing Director in planning and management of the patient care services. To provide professional nursing leadership and administrative direction for nursing practice for Registered Nurses, and, as indicated, for Licensed Practical Nurses and assistive personnel. To participate as a member of an Ambulatory Care Unit's leadership team to provide and continually improve health care services and to support the mission and goals of Michigan Medicine. To ensure the quality of nursing services provided to patients.
Organizational Relationships: Supervision Received: Administratively responsible to the Senior Director or Clinical Nursing Director and Ambulatory Care Services, for nursing practice, administration of the nursing contract, and provision of operational leadership. Works collaboratively with all members of the leadership teams of the multiple departments/services.
Responsible for professional practice and clinical competence for regular and temporary of Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses. Works collaboratively with the ACU management teams in the management of support staff.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
* Recruits, interviews and selects nurses. Works collaboratively with leadership teams in the hiring process.
* Manages staffing and scheduling of nursing staff. Assists Senior Nursing Director/ Clinical Nursing Director in determining adequate complements of staff, scope of staff roles and appropriate workload. Manages or facilitates nursing relief staffing for multiple clinics.
* Provides supervision, counsel, discipline, and performance evaluation of nursing and, as indicated, assigned clinical assistive staff, with feedback from medical faculty, peer groups, and ACU leadership teams
* Manages the orientation and competency evaluation of nursing staff.
* Serves as a role model, mentor and expert resource to nursing and assistive staff in the provision of direct patient care.
* Provides leadership for the development, implementation and evaluation of standards of nursing practice and
interdisciplinary clinical guidelines.
* Facilitates and support a nursing practice environment in which empowerment, responsibility, autonomy, accountability, collaboration and peer review are exercised.
Support of Clinical Operations
* Participates in planning and problem-solving of daily unit operations and priorities of patient services.
* Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of unit goals and objectives
* Manages, directly and in collaboration with others, staffing, scheduling, benchmarking, work redesign and variances.
* Organizes and facilitates unit based educational activities and inservices.
* Assures compliance with regulatory programs' standards related to nursing.
* Provides leadership, assists and advises Administrators, Medical Directors, in satisfying other regulatory standards.
* Interprets and implements Michigan Medicine policies and procedures.
* Assists in the planning and implementation of new or expanded services and programs.
* Provides interface and liaison communications regarding programs external to the unit which have implications for nursing staff.
* Represents nursing, Ambulatory Care Services and/or the clinical department(s) or unit(s) on assigned committees
Quality Management and Research
* Participates in and conducts the analysis of data. Assists in the development of strategies to improve care management within the area or unit.
* Participates in and supports the involvement of nursing staff in unit quality improvement activities.
* Provides leadership to staff in understanding and applying quality improvement principles and adoption of evidence-based changes in practice into daily work. Promotes the integration of research findings into clinical practice.
* Supports research activities on the unit, as indicated.
Professional Development and Education
• Facilitates the education of health sciences students.
* Develops self professionally through continuing education, professional reading, participation in professional organizations and networking.
* Evaluates own performance periodically with the Clinical Nursing Director and/or Senior Nursing Director.
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan
Required Educational Requirements; *Applicant must meet one of the following:
Bachelor's of Science in Nursing OR Master’s degree in Nursing
(Candidates with a Master’s degree or actively pursuing a Master’s degree is highly desired)
Minimum 3 years of recent (within the last 5 years) RN experience in specific clinic area specialty is required
Evidence of demonstrated or potential leadership ability is required, including charge nurse, team leader or other leadership experience.
Demonstrated effective communication, conflict resolution, and change management skills are required.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Master's in Nursing preferred
Certification in clinic specialty or ambulatory care
Experience in a supervisory role is highly desired
One or more years of experience in ambulatory care is desired including procedural sedation
Broad clinical experience in multiple specialties is desired
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week Hours and days will be based on unit/ clinic need. Location: To be determined.
One supervisor will be hired to each of the following Ambulatory Care Services areas: * Oncology * Primary Care * Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R)/Neuro/ Comprehensive Musculoskeletal Center (CMC) * Medicine * Surgical * Pediatrics/ OB/GYN
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 170064
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.