NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Clinical Engineer.
This position is responsible for performing professional engineering work of considerable difficulty, including design and development of test apparatus. This position performs design, modification, analysis, equipment selection, evaluation, planning and investigation, as well as assists in department planning, protocol and procedure development, supervision of technical staff, quality assurance and preventive maintenance programs.
- Routinely evaluates the equipment maintenance procedures and schedules to ensure optimum level of equipment maintenance with efficient resource utilization. Develops procedures for routine QA inspection of all new medical instrumentation. Evaluates current procedures to ensure efficient resource utilization and maximization of equipment up time. Develops procedures, test setups, and report forms for each type of newly acquired instrument. Develops in-service programs for user and maintainer training for each type of device. Re-evaluates programs and procedures on an ongoing basis. Reviews equipment incident records with emphasis on identifying any possible need for changes in the equipment maintenance program. Assigns PM schedules and priority.
- Responsible for all aspects of staff recruitment, hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision. In the absence of the Director will assume responsibility for overall supervision of all department activities. Assigns workload according to staff skills, priority, and schedules. Monitors the daily work performance of staff. Conducts in-service training for all clinical engineering staff on the proper procedures for maintaining and repairing each device. Defines the expected outcome and time of completion of assignment clearly to the employee. Solicits feedback from employees to make sure the assignment is understood. Interviews prospective employees and makes recommendations regarding training. Recognizes the need to counsel subordinates and performs counseling in a timely fashion. Offers guidance for improving performance to the employee. Brings to the employee's attention areas of performance needing improvement as soon as they are recognized with a plan and a time frame for correction. Responsible for the performance review process. Responsible for the planning and development of staff training programs. Trains Biomedical Technicians effectively and maintains records of staff performance and training. Encourages staff to pursue continuing education and seek professional growth. Distributes educational material/literature to staff as it becomes available.
- Participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering services, and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions. Participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering services and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions. Assists in preparing the annual budget in a timely fashion. Monitors and analyzes funds, purchasing activities and brings discrepancies, major pattern changes, and key issues to the Director's attention. Utilizing audit results, analyzes program changes regarding impact on spending patterns and department budget.
- Assists the Director in preparing and analyzing the operating budget. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of all patient, physician and hospital related information. Cooperates and communicates effectively and harmoniously with own supervisor, management, peers, general staff, physicians, other medical Center personnel, patients, their families, and the general public in a courteous and professional manner. Communications are well thought out, effective and informative.
- Participates in the planning and development of departmental policies, new programs, protocols and test maintenance procedures. Communicates the need for new or revised policies and procedures to the Director in a timely manner. Submits monthly reports on equipment maintenance programs on time. Develops short and long-range plans for the accomplishment of departmental goal, and addresses all contingencies in a plan. Measures the effectiveness of a plan through predetermined methods. Anticipates deviations from plans and recommends solutions/alternatives. Communicates status reports of projects and plans in a timely manner. Presents new and innovative ideas, gives ideas appropriate follow-up, and if necessary makes adjustments. Understands the department's mission, goals, and objectives, and takes appropriate actions to meet these.
- In the absence of the Director, will assume responsibility for overall supervision of all departmental activities. Makes good judgments, which are based on gathering and analyzing factual and objective data; is able to interpret policies and procedures in order to make a sound independent decision. Demonstrates alertness and adaptability to changing Medical Center conditions; responds appropriately. Makes decisions in a timely manner.
- Participates in the development and operation of the Medical Center equipment management program. Assists in maintenance of the equipment inventory program, updating information as necessary. Performs pre-purchase evaluations of medical equipment and submits reports to the Director. Performs incoming inspections of devices; ensuring that units are matched with the purchase order, meet all applicable standards that appropriate test procedures are developed and assign priority rating and PM schedule. Ensures that all purchased equipment is properly identified and recorded as NYU Hospitals Center property prior to testing. Assists in the review of service contracts with emphasis on cost and quality control. Makes recommendations regarding alternatives to the Director. Performs routine Quality Audit reviews of equipment to assess the performance level of the maintenance systems, and to assess the need for PM schedule adjustments. Develops and implements in-service education program for both instrument users and maintainers, making specific recommendations on annual retraining needs. Assists in the performance of incident investigations where medical equipment is involved, recording all details of the status of the equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of four years professional experience.
- CBET eligible.
- Masters of Science in Biomedical Engineering/Electrical Engineering.
- CBET Certification.
- Experience working in a union environment with some supervisory/leadership experience strongly preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.