The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Secretary I in the Diabetic Foot Center. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Minimum one (1) year of secretarial experience or completion of a recognized secretarial program. Experience in hospital registration and scheduling using EPIC preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology and/or word processing as needed. Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for general secretarial duties including but not limited to: typing correspondence, scheduling appointments, records and files information accurately promptly. Performs reception activities which may include assisting the staff, patients, and general public, and answering the phones for the section/area. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Transcribes and types correspondence, reports and other materials using a typewriter or word processor.Types materials neatly and accurately.Transcribes and types materials within time/deadline specified by supervisor.Properly formats drafts and final copies according to instructions.Enters, stores, and retrieves information correctly according to the machines operational instructions.
- Effectively schedules or arranges activities, travel arrangements, and appointments.Schedules appointments carefully in order to adhere to the supervisors instructions, allots sufficient time for each activity and avoids conflicts in arrangements.Makes appointments promptly, maintains calendars up-to-date, and reminds individuals of appointments as necessary.Distributes pertinent materials necessary for appointments when appropriate.Arranges activities and travel arrangements in compliance with pertinent Medical Center policies.
- Performs recordkeeping and filing in an efficient manner.Records and files information accurately and promptly.Maintains files in an organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval.Completes filing and recordkeeping in accordance with the supervisors instructions.Duplicates and collates materials upon request.
- Performs reception activities which may include addressing inquiries, assisting the staff, patients, or general public, and answering the phones for the section/area.Greets and screens visitors and phone calls in a pleasant and courteous manner; identifies the department when answering the phone.Attends to telephones and visitors promptly.Directs telephone calls and visitors to correct area of individual based on content of inquiry.Takes messages accurately and completely.
- Processes incoming and outgoing documents by tallying numbers and transcribing data, statistics, codes, and other information.Greets and screens visitors and phone calls in a pleasant and courteous manner; identifies the department when answering the phone.Takes messages thoroughly and accurately.Attends to telephones and inquiries promptly. Directs telephone calls and individuals to correct area or individual based on content of inquiry.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail for the area/section.Completes forms neatly and accurately.Secures accurate signatures and forwards documents/forms to the appropriate destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedure.Maintains a copy for the files.
- Attendance and Additional Performance StandardsDemonstrates reliability by maintaining a good attendance/punctuality record. Adheres to departmental guidelines regarding use of and proper notification in connection with time off. Adheres to Employee Health requirements for an annual health assessment, including TB screening and proof of all required immunizations.Maintains a professional appearance; wears identification badge at all times while at the Medical Center.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.