NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Transplant Nights
In this role, the successful candidate Provision, coordination, and assurance of comprehensive nursing care using nursing process and pertinent standards ofcare, the diagnosis of illness and physical conditions, and performance of therapeutic, corrective, and prescriptivemeasures as appropriate for preoperative and post operative transplant patients, under direct supervision of the SeniorTransplant Coordinator and Director of the Transplant Program
- Performs complete health history, physical examination and psychosocial assessment of pre- and post-operativetransplant patients in the outpatient clinic.
- In collaboration with physicians, orders and coordinates laboratory, radiological and diagnostic studies for routinefollow up, and as a response to problems identified in the outpatient clinic.
- Reviews testing, differentiates between normal/abnormal findings and follows standard practice for abnormalfindings, which may include further diagnostic testing or referral to consulting physicians per customary pattern ofthe collaborating physician.
- Maintains contact with assigned patient caseload between visits, based on their particular needs. Initiatesappropriate response to issues and problems identified during these contacts.
- Takes call for organ offers, and for patient questions and problems outside of normal business hours.Coordinates all aspects of the actual acquisition of an organ for a particular patient when an organ becomesavailable.
- Formulates a plan of care, along with the attending physician, consulting physicians, patient , family and othermembers of the interdisciplinary team for both preoperative and postoperative transplant patients, based onexpected goals of care and length of stay, care that maximizes individual patient/family preference and enhancesquality, access, and cost-effective outcomes.
- Works closely with insurance case managers and patients to facilitate approval for transplantation and neededservices and medications.
- Coordinates discharge planning with attending physicians, inpatient nurse practitioners, social work and patientand family, to assure timely and safe discharge. Orders / prescribes discharge medications according to NewYork State law, including controlled substances with DEA authorization.
- Prescribes/orders medical equipment, devices, physical and occupational therapy, and home health services perpractice protocol.
- For nurse practitioners,practices as a member of the allied health staff according to the rules and regulations ofthe Medical Staff and bylaws as outlined in the delineation of privileges.
- Evaluates treatment and health care plans for effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practiceprotocols. Educates patient and family to facilitate and promote healthy adjustment to the transplant process.
- Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise and related experience into allaspects of patient care. Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patientcare.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department and service line.Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilizationper protocols, pathways, and other means. Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team including theNYULMC MSS Position Profile PreviewPage 2 of 2attending physician to develop and implement the therapeutic plan of care for a group of patients and ensurecommunication with family members.
- Participates in the development and revision of interdisciplinary and nursing standards, patient and familyeducation materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise. Works collaboratively with the attendingphysician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, housestaff, other transplantteam members, other disciplines and ancillary services. Works collaboratively with nursing leadership on thetransplant unit and elsewhere, to ensure timely communications with the nursing staff.
- Provides consultation about the transplant process to the nursing staff responsible for the patients care in thehospital setting. Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities,appointments with MDs etc.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance ofresponsibilities.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outsideagencies. Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Promotes own professional growth and development in clinical and managerial role.
- Maintains current expertise in transplantation.
- Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers, staff members on the transplant unit andother health professionals.
- Participates in educational and outreach programs for transplant patients and their families, and other healthprofessionals to increase knowledge about transplantation.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of patient outcomes per established practice protocols forpurposes of quality and performance improvement.
- Uses evidence-based health care literature to advise and support appropriate practice changes within thedesignated service.
- Supports the transplant department and the medical center in all research efforts.
- Works collaboratively with nursing and other disciplines in the development and implementation of clinical studieswithin the area of expertise.
- Assists in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of research protocols when applicable.
- Monitors and trends the cost effectiveness of the position, particularly as it relates to the efficiency andperformance indicators established for the service.
To qualify you must have a Licensure: Current registration as Professional Nurse in New York and if appropriate, registration as Nurse Practitioner inNew York;Education: Master's Degree in Nursing. If a nurse practitioner, establishes a written Collaborative PracticeAgreement with an NYUHC attending physician in the Department of Transplant Surgery. Credentialed through theCredentialing Committee of the Medical Board with Delineation of Privilege approved with role specific treatmentprivileges;Certification required: CCTC after one year in role, ANCC or Board Certification from other specialtyorganization that certifies Nurse Practitioners in a clinical area of practice if appropriate; BCLS, ACLS PRICertification/Screening is optional;Competence: At least five years of clinical nursing practice, ability to apply nursingprocess toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion, which addresses patient/family safety andsatisfaction. Previous experience in transplantation or critical care is preferred. Evidence of excellent interpersonal andcommunication skills, creative problem solving and excellent critical thinking and leadership. Previously demonstratedability to facilitate group processes and work cohesively and collaboratively as member of the interdisciplinary team.Effective change agent. Physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities.
Required Licenses: Nurse Practitioner-NYS, Registered Nurse License-NYS
Membership in NATCO, ITNS desirable
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.