NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Per Diem-Child Life Specialist.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing child life services for designated pediatric units under the general guidance of Supervisor or Director
- Plans, organizes, implements clinical programs for a designated unit. Ensures that the Child Life program is varied to meet the needs of the patients while meeting the guidelines established by the regulatory agencies. Takes steps to correct errors in the delivery of patient care either through direct action or communication to ensure patient safety and delivery. Varies programs in scope and addresses the psychological, cognitive, physical, social, and cultural needs of the children. Modifies the program when necessary to assure as much independent function as possible.
- Assesses/reassesseseach childsdevelopmental leveland createstreatment planscompatible withmedical andpsychosocial needs,interests, andcapabilities throughinterviews andobservations ofpatients incollaboration withother disciplines.Assesses each childsphysical andpsychosocial needsaccording to unitpolicy. Assess eachpatientsdevelopment,temperament andcoping style. Utilizestherapeutic playtechniques as adiagnostic andtreatment tool.Interprets the childsperception of his/herdiagnosis andtreatment throughplay and othermeans ofcommunication bothverbal and nonverbal.Assurescompletion of patientattendance sheets oralternative reportand gives monthlystatistics to thedepartment office.Completes patientcharting according tounit policies andprocedures Providesage appropriatetherapeuticinterventionsassessment in orderto promote selfhealing,selfexpression,understanding andmastery.
- Provides age appropriate therapeutic interventions assessment in order to promote self-healing, self-expression, understanding and mastery.
- Incorporates the family when appropriate in order to facilitate the patients medical care and healing. Provides consultation, education and support to families on the impact of environmental factors on the patients adaptation to hospitalization and treatment. Supports family bonds and utilizes family strengths in the care of the child/family member. Provides pre-admission orientation for the child and family to the health care experiences and personnel.
- Communicates effectively with other professionals, students, patients, and staff by participating in meetings/committees and preparing/updating required reports. Cooperates and communicates with all Medical Center staff (including physicians) patients, their families, and the general public in professional and effective manner. Maintains the confidentiality of all patient, hospital, and physician-related information. Is attentive to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtain needed information. Develops a therapeutic and supportive relationship with the patient; maintains an appropriate perspective between personal and professional affairs. Communicates needs and/or concerns to supervisor in professional manner.
- Ensures the safety of patients during special events, outings, and all recreational activities within the hospital. Demonstrates safety procedures when necessary. Demonstrates knowledge of wheelchair mobility. Demonstrates knowledge of frequently occurring symptoms and procedures for handling medical emergencies. Maintains an awareness of necessary precautions for different populations with whom he/she works and the possible side effects of medication.
- Assists with the recruitment, training, and functional supervision of students, aides and volunteers. Participates in the planning and conducting of seminars, symposiums, and educational endeavors sponsored by the department.
- Assists with ordering and maintenance of stores equipment and supplies. Assists with ordering supplies for unit, as needed. Maintains equipment and the working environment in a neat and orderly manner according to departmental procedures. Requests needed equipment and supplies on a timely basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates continued proficiency in skills required to treat assigned patient population.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree in Child Life, Early Childhood Education, or equivalent degree with a variety of play therapy techniques. Certification or certification eligible by the Child Life Certifying Committee. C.P.R. and First Aid required on hire or within one year.
Required Licenses: Child Life Specialist Cert
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.