The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Secretary I in the Pediatric Disability Center. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Minimum three (3) years of responsible secretarial experience is required. Extensive knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets required. Typing (50 wpm) required. Good organizational skills and detail oriented. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing secretarial support to the Center for Children clinics as assigned, including but not limited to: Greets, screens visitors, and answers phones. Composes, prepares, and edits general correspondence. Effectively schedules and arranges department events, activities, travel arrangements, and schedules appointments. Schedules and coordinates clinical activities. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Types correspondence, reports, and other materials using word processor software:Types materials neatly and accurately.Proofreads materials to ensure tasks are completed in accordance with supervisor(s) instructions.Types materials within deadline specified by supervisor(s).Properly formats drafts and final copies according to instructions.
- Schedules and coordinates clinical activities including patient and medical testing appointments related to clinical services:Schedules and confirms appointments carefully adhering to supervisor(s) instructions; allots sufficient time for each activity and avoids conflicts in arrangements.Makes appointments promptly; maintains appointment book in an up-to-date manner and reminds individuals of appointments as necessary.Distributes pertinent materials necessary for appointments when appropriate.Arranges activities and travel arrangements in compliance with pertinent Hospital policies.Requests needed patient charts/films/reports as needed.
- Performs account services to ensure accurate and timely processing of claims:Reviews patient folders, registration form, and charge documents to ensure that all information is complete and accurate. Obtains necessary referrals.Enters, verifies, and updates patient information (demographics, insurance benefits, and charge data).Links patient, related party, and coverage records to ensure claims are filed correctly.Responds to subsequent requests for billing related information such as DRG worksheets, medical records, assignments, etc.Provides thorough review of accounts to be reclassified to alternate carriers and accurate data entry of related benefit revisions.
- Performs billing services to ensure accurate and timely processing of claims to third party carriers:Submits clear and accurate claims to third party carriers on a timely basis.Confirms receipt of third party claims; rebills claims as necessary.Monitors status of patient admissions to ensure earliest possible release of accounts ready for billing.Is cognizant of time limits currently in effect for all billing activities and monitors for compliance.
- Performs recordkeeping and filing in efficient manner:Components of Responsibility/TasksRecords and files information accurately and promptly.Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate retrieval.Completes filing and recordkeeping in accordance with supervisor(s) instructions.Duplicates and collates materials upon request.
- Performs reception activities which may include addressing inquiries, assisting staff, patients, or general public and answering phones for areas:Greets and screens visitors and phone calls in a pleasant, courteous manner; identifies department when answering phone.Attends to telephones and visitors promptly.Directs telephone calls and visitors to correct area or individual based on content of inquiry.Takes messages accurately and completely.Processes call forwarding at end of each day, if necessary.
- Collects and compiles data, statistics, and other materials for reports as needed:Prepares requested data thoroughly and accurately, charts, x-rays, reports.Obtains information within time frame specified by supervisor(s).Utilizes appropriate sources and assembles data in accordance with instructions.
- Composes, prepares, and edits general correspondence:Prepares responses which are clear, grammatically correct, and meet content requirements.Completes responses and sends them out promptly.Properly formats responses and adheres to general guidelines given by supervisor(s).Routes non-routine correspondence to supervisor(s) and attaches related records or information to correspondence.
- Effectively schedules or arranges events, activities, travel arrangements, and appointments:Meets specifications given by supervisor(s), is attentive to details and adheres to pertinent Hospital policies when scheduling.Allots sufficient time for each activity avoiding scheduling conflicts.Contacts appropriate individuals/organizations regarding arrangements and distributes pertinent materials when appropriate.Makes appointments promptly, maintains up-to-date calendars and reminds individuals of appointments as necessary.
- Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area/section:Distributes materials on a timely basis.Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures.Logs in materials with respect to time and date, when applicable.
- Effectively communicates and maintains relationships with others:Cooperates and communicates courteously, professionally, and effectively with all Hospital staff (including physicians), visitors, patients, and their families.Maintains confidentiality of Hospital related information.Pays careful attention to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtain needed information.Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions, and messages in a timely and effective manner.Communicates clearly with supervisor(s), management, and peers as needed to clarify issues or exchange information.Maintains an awareness of Hospital procedures and assists staff by responding to requests for information, concerning procedures (e.g. petty cash, personnel, etc.)
- Demonstrates good judgment and decision-making:Demonstrates ability to exercise good independent judgment based on application of appropriate policy of procedure. Obtains and analyzes all pertinent information available in order to make most informed decision based on factual and objective data.Is able to foresee a potential problem situation; intervenes, if appropriate or advises supervisor(s) of situation.
- Demonstrates initiative:Makes appropriate suggestions which would enhance or benefit department.Volunteers assistance to others when appropriate.Maintains work area in a neat and orderly manner.Maintains computerized and manual records.Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn and apply more skills/functions.
- Demonstrates appropriate planning and time utilization:Demonstrates ability to recognize, establish, and attend to priorities.Strives to make good use of time during assigned shift through careful organization of daily tasks.Demonstrates adaptability by adjusting well to changes.
- Attendance and Additional Performance Standards:Demonstrates reliability by maintaining a good attendance/punctuality record. Adheres to departmental guidelines regarding use of and proper notification in connection with time off. Number of incidents of Unscheduled Absence: _____Number of incidents of Lateness: _____Adheres to Employee Health requirements for an annual health assessment, including TB screening and proof of all required immunizations.Maintains a professional appearance; wears identification badge at all times while at the Medical Center.
- Performs other assigned duties
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.