The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Secretary II in the RUSK HJD Administration Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Three (3) years of relevant medical clerical experience required. Knowledge of medical terminology, lite accurate keyboarding skills required. Knowledge of computer based scheduling and appointment programs. Excellent telephone skills and prior physician practice experience preferred. The ability to multi-task, communicate with patients, guests, and staff. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing basic support services for Rusk intake operations. Including but not limited to: answering incoming phone calls, meeting, greeting, checking in patients, and scheduling appointments. Assists in completion of special reports, projects and department activities. Creates, reviews for accuracy, pulls, and files patients medical charts. Ability to handle busy office setting. Performs other duties as assigned. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Assists section in completion of special reports, projects and activities.May assist, provide guidance and/or train Secretary Is and other less senior staff with completing secretarial duties.
- Maintains workload statistics and other data for departmental records.
- Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area section. Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures. Logs in materials with respect to time and data when applicable. Processes incoming and outgoing documents. Completes forms neatly. Secures appropriate signatures and forwards documents/forms to correct destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedures. Maintains copy for files. Faxes documents in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Types routine material such as forms and letters, envelopes, etc. Types materials neatly, accurately and according to instructions. Writes materials clearly and legibly, Maintains and receives files for area. Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval. Completes filing in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction.Maintains confidentiality on matters to which they are privileged.
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff.
- Refers patients who have a question regarding insurance coverage or are in need of counsel on financial matters based on established criteria (e.g., denial of electronic insurance eligibility, ABN questions/concerns, questions regarding insurance or payor restrictions, making payment, multi plan determinations, any and all issues/questions/concerns relating to financial matters) to the Business Associate.
- Properly QAs all intake-related data and materials for completeness.Monitors intake work queue for timely intake completion.
- Collect and ask patients to sign patient related documents including HIPAA, MSPQ, ABN, etc.Scan all necessary documents (insurance cards, lab requisitions, etc) into the intake system.
- Follow up with patients and/or their representatives, physician offices, etc to gather missing data and materials in order to complete the intake process.
- Gather all patient demographic related data and materials from patients and/or their representatives. Obtains insurance information (ID card, member/group #s, etc.), takes their picture and asks them to use Patient Secure. On subsequent visits, asks them to verify demographic info and makes any necessary edits.
- Schedules appointments for visits, procedures, etc. Schedules follow up visits, when applicable.
- Greets and screens telephone calls in pleasant and a professional manner; handles call or directs caller to appropriate person or area. Takes messages and transfers calls appropriately.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.