NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for coordinating scheduling for patients and clinical staff, integrating each partys needs for optimal results. Resolves a variety of problems and issues by acting as a liaison between patients and staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Confirms appointment dates and times with patients prior to their appointment. Facilitates patient care by providing information, resolving problems and assisting patients with issues outside the office if needed. Performs miscellaneous administrative duties and provides coverage as needed. Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office staff.
- Prepares charts as required: For new patients scheduled for consultation, prepares charts as indicated and provides to appropriate medical secretary. For follow up patients, updates charts with pertinent records.
- Notifies patients, Physician and Medical Secretary when 3rd party payor does not authorize scheduled services, so that determination can be made whether patient should be scheduled.
- Coordinates with Referring Physicians offices to facilitate referrals and authorizations for scheduled procedures prior to appointment date. Ensures that necessary referral and authorization information is received prior to the appointment date. Processes authorizations and referrals as needed.
- Contacts insurance companies as necessary to obtain needed pre-authorization information for needed services. Screens insurance while pre-registering each patient to ensure that the MD and facility participate. Effectively communicates referral and pre-certification requirements to patients. Properly refers patients to the Financial Counselor as needed.
- Answers phones and screens incoming calls. Accurately takes messages, provides information and/or redirects callers to the appropriate department in a timely manner.
- Conducts face-to-face or telephone interviews to effectively gather needed pre-registration data from patients and caregivers via telephone and in-person. Accurately enters information into all applicable systems in a timely manner.
- Schedules visits, treatments, outpatient procedures and hospital admissions for patients. Schedules meetings and time off for clinical staff. Updates staff with schedule changes. Utilizes applicable computer systems to schedule patients for needed services. Effectively communicates scheduled services and provides necessary information to patients and caregivers as necessary.
- Manages patient waiting area: takes note of wait times and notifies patients when treatment areas are ready for them.
- Greets patients/visitors coming into department. Provides a friendly greeting to all patients/visitors entering department; ensures cleanliness of patient waiting area; notifies housekeeping, as needed. Arrives patients, as directed, into applicable computer systems, and makes sure that patients are properly registered when they arrive in the department.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. JCAHO) appropriate for position.
- Extensive experience and competency with varied computer hardware and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, scheduling, communications and presentation applications.
- Writing skills to compose and edit logical, detailed, comprehensive and grammatically correct correspondence.
- Superior typing skills to prepare correspondence with speed and accuracy.
- Knowledge of insurance companies admission procedures and policies to complete pre-authorization requirements.
- Knowledge of hospital procedures to obtain laboratory and imaging information.
- Skill in communicating with patients, families, physicians, nurses, staff and peers with diplomacy and tact.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, preferably oncology/hematology.
- Ability to handle matters of highly confidential and sensitive nature.
- Ability to recognize and identify problems, recognize implications and propose alternative solutions.
- Skill in prioritizing assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
- Skill in working independently and in following through on assignments with minimal direction
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.