The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Pharmacy Technician II in the Pharmacy Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent is required and two (2) years prior experience as a Pharmacy Technician or an equivalent combination of education and experience required, Associates Degree preferred. Certification as a Pharmacy Technician (CPht) required. Must have knowledge and understanding of medical and pharmaceutical terminology as well as knowledge of procedures and standards for the labeling and dispensing of drugs. Strong background in the use of computers and basic Microsoft programs. The ability to occasionally lift weights greater than 25 lbs. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
In this role, the successful candidate under immediate direction of a registered pharmacist will be responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations, licensing requirements and professional standards pertaining to storage, inventory control, dispensing and distribution of medication, permitted by the NY State Board of Pharmacy for unlicensed personnel. Operates pharmacy technology and medical systems in filling medication orders. Delivers patient specific medications. Stocks, assembles, and distributes necessary medications. Processes controlled substance requisitions for pharmacists review. Orders and receives shipments. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Checks current inventory to determine drug and products to be ordered. Places orders with drug wholesaler, materials management, or specialty pharmacy supplier. Receives medication and supplies promptly and stores in appropriate areas accurately document receiving of drugs and supplies, alerts Pharmacy manager of problems or discrepancies.
- Prepares and accurately documents batched sterile product compounding under the supervision of a Pharmacist.
- Interacts with health care providers and patients, answers questions and requests, and refers inquiries to a Pharmacist where applicable.
- Answers telephone with courtesy and promptness. Triages phone calls, facilitates medication order workflow, trouble shoots medication order inquiries from nursing.
- Participates in the training of newly hired Pharmacy Technicians based on departmental training guidelines.
- Maintains Pharmacy files for patient medication profiles and pulls these charts for the Pharmacists as needed.
- Demonstrates proficiency with unit dose drug distribution.
- Demonstrates proficiency with Hospital Information System, reviews patient information in the medical record system and prints labels when necessary.
- Demonstrates proficiency when repacking needed doses.
- Cleans, sterilizes, and maintains equipment and work areas according to procedures, rules, and regulations
- Demonstrates proficiency in aseptic technique and IV room procedures
- Maintains pharmacy inventory by checking stock; anticipates medication demands based on supply level and removes outdated medications.
- Demonstrates proficiency with medication procurement process, stocking and deliveries to units in a timely manner including pneumatic tube.
- Demonstrates proficiency with applicable Pharmacy technology
- Demonstrates knowledge of State and Federal laws related to the Medical Centers policy of handling controlled substances.
- Places and expedites orders; verifies receipts; receives shipments as needed.
Appropriately stores and secures medications.
- Completes Veriform unit inspection assignments and Expiration Tracking Report assignments.
Completes annual competency assessments
- Performs other duties as requested.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.